CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

Puffy Apple Oven Pancake

It's been my personal opinion, since I began baking at the tender age of 6, that Betty Crocker ROCKS! My mom had an old 1960's edition and that was my baking bible. In fact, they republished that version in the 90's and my mom gave me a copy in '97. I just checked and the edition I use all the time is from '96. Anyway, it's not super gourmet, but I can always take a basic recipe and run with it. With the advent of the internet, I often find myself using online cooking websites for recipes. But my BC cookbook is still the backbone of my culinary adventures.


This morning I was in the mood for a pancake. I don't have any pancake mix onhand, so I thought I'd see what Betty had to say on the subject. I found a yummy, big, fritter-looking recipe which I have passed over many times while perusing her book. I had some apples I needed to use, so I was excited to try this recipe out. It really turned out delicious. Except I baked it too long and have a little burnt aftertaste now. I also didn't realize it was for 2-4 people, so I tried to eat the whole thing. I'll just say I'm going to take a little break from this recipe before making it again. Next time I want to try it in my cast iron skillet.

Puffy Apple Oven Pancake oven 400 degrees. 2-4 servings

2 TB stick butter (or Blue Bonnet)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 TB brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 medium baking apple
powdered sugar


1. Heat oven to 400°F. In 9-inch glass pie plate, melt butter in oven; brush butter over bottom and side of pie plate.

2. In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in flour, milk and salt just until mixed (do not overbeat).

3. Sprinkle bottom of pie plate with brown sugar and cinnamon. Arrange thinly sliced apple and pour batter into pie plate.

4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and deep golden brown. Turn pancake over onto plate immediately. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. (I also drizzled it with syrup. Yummy!)

5 comments:

Shan said...

Guess what I had for dinner this very night? Yes! The PAOP! Delicious!!! I erred in the opposite by making one for the 4 of us! Yep, we needed some beefstick on the side to stretch it that much. I was kinda wishing I had a whole one myself but I think 2 servings per pancake is perfect. Thanks for the recipe GF!!

Tally said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it so much! I was going to make it again this morning, but I think I still need some time before I go down that road again....

The Deborah Sector said...

That looks so good!

The Deborah Sector said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.